ConquerMaths - Real Maths Lessons from a Real Maths Teacher!

Saturday, 11 October 2008

Hope this will work

Right! Here we go again. I will from now and in the future, hopefully to continue recorded my children homeschool journey and our day to day routine and experience. Starting this year, it will be more challenging to me especially as PS still at home and looks like will continue to homeschool for the time being apart from three others.

As PS getting bigger and need a serious learning then before, as she grow bigger she need to experience and start to explore more challenging issue and learn some of thing more formal, in other words for me, more organize and get in to adult learning style, I find my self pretty much need to get in to it first. For me it's not about what she going to learn, it's not about knowledge, it's not just about calculation, how to write and etc, but how to organize, filing, doing research on her own, making her own schedule, try and error, learn with open eyes to try all sort of method and may be the most important among all is to learn the way of thinking.

Now, I just realize when I used to be homeschool. May be my parents didn't involve in my learning at all. They just bought me the whole curriculum and me my self have to figure out everything from making my own schedule to register my own exam by my self. At that time, may be I did felt like they don't just care much. But now I feel really glad as that happen. It's actually had teach me to learn how to organize my self, to motivate my self, to choose the way of study by trying all sort of method, how to do a research, to work smart not hard and etc.

All the experience I got now is actually come from the basic experience I had before. Being and become independent had teach me a lot. I'm also find that the important thing for me to teach my children and something that I'm always talk to my children especially PS and MS is if you want to learn, you will find the way. And even without guidance, it will turn out better because we learn how to and the experience we got is such a better way for us as we actually facing it in reality.

Our homeschool for this term is not starting yet. I'm planning for us to get back in to routine on 20th of October. Honestly I'm not sure if that going to happen or not. I'm just started to work on it. Started to organize the curriculum, schedule, subject, activities and etc. For me, it's not easy as I had four in different key stage. I don't want to do one thing with everybody all together. I find out that they ended up being less matured than they should or more matured than they should. For me to be able for them to just right on their age is to used the method which is only appropriate for their level of thinking.

Also with people coming and going, and the rest of the time without anybody I was ended up tidy up the house to get back to normal before I receive another call. As that, at the moment I really struggle my self to work bit by bit everyday in organizing our homeschool and hopefully we will get back on track on time.

At the mean time, although we not in our homeschool routine and children been let run errand to do what they want, learning is still happen everyday. AH nearly completed his memorization on his 10 surah from the back of the quran. I didn't have a time for him, so I bought him Mp3 and transfer one surah after another for him to listen. Of course he love it and bring his Mp3 all the time with him. For others, S always with her art and craft. Also playing while learning in the computer games. Also all my paper had gone because they always wanted to do something as making card, writing story and etc. All that happen without my direction or getting involve. Alhamdulillah, teaching them to become independent learner have giving me and them such a huge advantage. AH reading had gradually improve so much with out me teaching him at all. So does his numeracy and other knowledge. AH had become more and clear example how teaching children to become independent by providing them learning tools and by not telling them how important learning is and keeping them with learning all the time is the best way that work, at least for me. Although I believe this can also work with others. But, of course the important trick is do not worry too much.

Anyway, hope fully this time, this blog will keep moving with all the record of our homeschool. Somewhere we can come back and look at and see how and what we have done. I can't guarantee how this gonna work. I just try and pray may Allah help us to make things easy..Insya Allah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this, finie! i feel the same way about the objective of homeschooling. i like your record..i think i will try to do the same..ben trying to figure out a way to do that...what you did in theprevious posts looks like a very good idea...jazakillah khair for inspiring me!