ConquerMaths - Real Maths Lessons from a Real Maths Teacher!

Saturday, 17 March 2012

Update

Not sure why it is hard for me to update on this blog. I do have time, but might not be proper time to proper update. May be I had to write a bit than try to write too much after long time.

I am busy and very very busy indeed, still kids are on homeschool formal and informal.

PS is stress and keep thinking she will fail. Same as when she going to have her SATs when she was in year 6. She is kind of person who will get sooo nervous in exam. Poor her, she said that when she open the paper, even the past paper, she forget everything. I told her, make doa to Allah, only Allah swt can help.

MS is on revision on his Maths. I had now see what I need to do with MS and S English. They only stay on their workbook and I do need help for someone to organise their work and check it properly. I don't have time to be honest. I will soon get them both on CatheringMooney tutoring. For science I was thinking to used Oxford homeschool curicculum for IGCSE science for them both. I think it's about time for them to have specific tutoring curriculum as GCSE books is not much in the market. Plus there are no past paper as well except from Edexcel Website which can only obtain by teacher through school package scheme. So, I decided that for that two subject, they need to get on proper curriculum instead of me picking this, here and there. As they are no has to start learning for exam. I think I had get some experience from PS. I did not understand much about exam here before. Especially for IGCSE as it didn't broad yet, the resource is not much as I wanted.

For Maths, I should be alright as Interhigh also used Conquer Maths. I'm not bad in Maths as well and hub is always there to help in difficult area. Science also is not bad actually as I got hub which willing to get involve more now to teach the kids. Just that I need proper curriculum for exam needs especially as I said IGCSE resource is not as much in term of workbook and study book. Not as much as I want. PS also whine about this. Poor her. She really work hard. If she didn't get a good result, I know it's not her fault. She had to study in short time and her time in First College is in some way a waste. She realise now why I keep asking her if she want to move, but she keep saying it's ok. The problem sometimes with PS, she know that the price with First College is lower than Interhigh. So she don't want a burden on us, the parents. Until I had to urge her that I am willing to do what I can, as long as she work hard on it. Plus her nervous nerve on exam, if she don't get a good result, I know she work hard and grasps the knowledge as exam cannot measure everything.

S had now moved on from multiplication to Calender  and time topic in mindsprinting. AS had now on proper multiplication. He was excellent as usual. Four pages can be done easily in 15-20 minutes.

Actually the kids had their own on going project. MS had you tube account where he made review on his favourite games and toys. Also on his making gun and short rifle of HALO games from cardboard. I don't like to mention this as it's sound like violence. I don't like it at first. Especially the wrong way people take it in as we are homeschool and muslim. But, it's not as what in people mind. He just love the creativity and he start with making bionicle and now moved on to making all this from cardboard boxes. This had been going on since two years ago actually. he got set of friends in you tube and guess what, some of them, the good one are dyslexic and autism. This is how I found out that he possibly one of them. How he actually draw, is like professional. He can easily impress people with detail. It's just a nature talent all this sort of boys got, one of the strong sign can easily be seen. I will soon post his you tube channel. He also got his blog up recently.

S also got her own you tube channel. She crazy about hamster. She got her own blog about hamster near,y a year ago and something had gone wrong with it like the account was hack and she cannot access it. So she made another one. She than started her own you tube account with video about hamster. She had build her own virtual friends similar age as her. She recently ask me if she can do swap of hamster supplies.

AS also got his own blog with he write story mostly about alien and space. He had this on going for quiet sometimes now actually.

So all kids had their own on going project which actually keep them busy when they not on formal homeschool schedule of workbook and study book. Also with their pets as we got 5 fish, 4 hamster and a rabbit. We recently had made a proper Rabbit cage from wire mesh and timber. Possibly it's same price as if we buy the hutch with the play area. But, at least we all learn. It's me and the kids especially PS and MS that  make it. With a little bit help from hub as well with his electric saw. MS also used manual saw to cut the timber. It was quiet a success although first time it wasn't as good as we used left over pine from PS broken bed. And it was too small. So I decided to get a proper garden timber for that. So they also busy looking after our Pets. We are planning to get chickens. Me and hub was planning to build our own chicken coup as kids actually now can become a handyman especially MS. He do get a skill for it.

So that's the story for now. There are plenty of unplanned and self independent project going on with kids. Alhamdulillah. I just got to organise a little bit on proper homeschool subject for exam purpose. Hub also get involve more now. Islamic studies at the moment is his field. I just need to get proper schedule for us to see where and what we should concentrate more.

Alhamdulillah for the homeschool.

1 comment:

ummrashid said...

Assalamualaykum,
You can get past papers from here:
http://www.freeexampapers.com/
Have you considered the courses from Sam Martell for science?
http://www.sammartell.co.uk/biology.htm