I was dreading to wake up this morning as well...I think it was because middle of the month. With the age, sleepy body had become part of me at some point. This is not sleepy because I don't have enough sleeping time, (Last night by 10.30 pm, house was so quiet!), but just feminine hormone and doesn't matter if I had enough sleep, I will still feel sleepy. Therefore, it was a challenge for me!
I push myself to wake up while hub already went to work. I thought I never gonna make it, but I did..! I wake up everybody at around 8.30 am. PS ready in 15 minutes and start reading Quran while others sort their self out and have breakfast. PS start school on 9.30 am like usual. She was busy more this year as she is in scholars. I can see her full motivation and pretty much no encouragement needed at all for her now! What a relief. I was so happy how she turn out. Consider she was more house bound now than before but her confident build up more and more everyday.
Long time ago, I used to worried about her hayya. She was so friendly and chatter when she was small. May be until she was 11-12. Than she slow down a bit and now she claim because she didn't have much outside activity, she don't know how to socialise!! I was a bit confuse at some point. I was worried about socialisation skill for my kids. Is this real? Honestly I don't want her to open up as much and I am in some way, closing doors more now for her as a Muslim girl as she grow. But, is she actually lost her socialisation skill? I ask myself again.
Than I think, we had people coming in and out almost every week, or not every other week. Or we went out somewhere. She actually had matured more than before in conversation and think more before she involve in conversation. In some way she is less chatter box as before, but involved in more matured conversation which lead her to think that she lost her social skills. She always help me to entertain people in and out the house and she will involved in conversation but in skill manner. So I wasn't worry at all from what she say as for me as she grow up, for the girl, it's very important to slow back and keep the hayya and moving in social with keeping in mind what Islam want and says.
Even MS age 14, never go on bus or any other public transport on his own. I don't allow him even to cycle outside from our road. Only this year he allow to walk to corner shop which is just 3 minutes away on his own. PS not allow to walk on his own even though she matured enough and know how to look after herself. Because for me, opening the unnecessary door is dangerous. I rather driving around many times and spend money on fuel rather than opening the door into fitnah after all time and energy I spend on. She usually be allow to walk to corner shop either with MS or S and AS. I am always make sure the girls will have each other and one boy at a time. This is to teach them that girls are always vulnerable and cannot be independent at some point. Because independent in some point of view for the girls can lead into some problem which is why Islam not allow. She is very independent which I can left her at home the whole day with her brothers and sister, to look after them, cooking and cleaning and sort everything, but to the outside world, she will need to be teach that Islam says different and there is a reason behind.
Everything we talk about, courses, job and future for the girls will lead back into girls role in Islam as mother and wife. Alhamdulillah I know she will pass that when the time come. So with her being a bit lay back in to the outside world is just fine. But not in bad way that she is lay back into the outside world. For example, when we went on holiday, she the one who will bring all her sibling to the play area, sort them out and speak to reception and what needs and she also sort out her siblings books in the library and other sort of things needed. She also don't mind talking to the shop keeper, or anywhere she need to talk to others to sort out formal thing. She was very independent, but there are certain things I try to not lead her which I think can easily bring the fitnah. So do my boys. MS had become very much independent and confident through out the years. He the one who always shy and hiding behind the curtain when small, but now he shine through but still I make sure I don't over do. There are certain things that I let it slow and easy. Over do before the time come for me is very dangerous! Letting their confident at early age can lead into so many fitnah especially now a days. Some people might think that I might be too scared or spoil the kids, but they had build up confident, being independent already but I believe or not over do that. I think we can easily had over confident that we can let them out now, but overdo can easily do the damage. Doesn't matter if we had teach them properly and they are pious, because we all know that environment do play important part as well. This from my point of view is because over do it in early age.
Especially for the girls, I will put stress in to not going around on their own for any reason. I always said in my Islamic teaching regarding girls especially, how they need their mahram, and they always be a fragile one, I cannot be able to not do different in practise. I know they should be able to go out while maintaining what I had teach them, but we all know that as a parents, there are a hadith related to how if we can look after thr girls until they married. The reward of one parents, and how a husband is a leader in the house who their wife will be and shall be their independent. Therefore I really stress this out in action. Although I was very independent, still it wasn't easy to maintain hayya and be independent but dependent at the same time. So, better take low risk than high risk. For me girls are always vulnerable and fragile and that is how we been told in Islam. This is how we should treat them and in many case, do not over do while teaching them independent and confident. Independent and confident can be teach in many way, but do not by putting them in outside world that full of fitnah without observing about what Islam says.
For boys, for me it is a different technique, which is I slowly develop but also do not over do. I found out that teaching them brave got to be done in fragile way. As this can lead into many unnecessary bravery. I had seen many example and as one of the sign of the day of judgement is children over power parents. This sign can come easily once your child been expose and overdo into teaching them bravery. Many in the Quran and Hadith that we had to ponder upon.
Alhamdulillah MS, S and AS ready for their Quran reading by 9.45 am. My kids do not read the whole pages or even many lines. I am always keep them in manageable lines that they had to read. Because I am very particular in pronunciation. I don't want them to mess with their reading which why I like to keep it as little lines a day. Therefore I don't required too long but keep it maintain. As MS now, he read much better as I keep him in small area that he can easily master properly.
At 10.30 am they start Maths. I do not intend for all of them to do the same subject at the same time as it can be very difficult, but it seems like that at the moment.
AS still on measurement. At first he did ask why he is on the same topic. But, he didn't know that this is for him to gradually moving forward. So today he was quiet happy and show much more understanding in measurement. He had to choose from the label in the worksheet and list down the lightest and heaviest weight in grams and kilograms. Than he had to read the scale in the worksheet and mark how much it weight. With a bit of help, he understand better and better with fun.
Than after Maths, I went out to get some fish at Fish Quay and bring him along. I test some measurement verbally and he manage to answer them correct although some hard one! Than when we came back, he did English about synonym. I was struggle now to find the best way to teach my boys writing! Still doing some reading and research myself.
S did common factor today. Last night she also manage to do her homework and give it to me before the time she had to. So she seems to manage and grasp the idea of having responsibility in her own time. Her homework is in multiplication. This is to keep her on track although she had sort of master her multiplication. Still she need lots of practise, so I design one worksheet with not much exercise in it while in study time she do a new topic. Just to keep her on track and revision. Today she manage her time better although it was more than time frame of an hour, but still it wasn't bad.
In English she got some worksheet on comprehension and writing Paragraph. She didn't manage to do her writing but agree to do that as her homework. I can understand as she had taken more than time frame for her Maths.
MS was on Conquer Maths and manage to find the scientific calculator. Therefore he manage to finish his topic according to plan although I was to adjust a bit as it was suppose to be yesterday lesson. Anyway, not to worry as he will just carry on with the plan I made as everything will be on Conquer Maths and I will just top up the homework to strengthen some topic that Conquer Maths didn't go deeply.
MS English: Let just say that he will need lots of improvement in his English..A lots. I know that I had abundant this since ages ago and he just stay on workbook which is not help much. Therefore I am encounter some problem there to help him strengthen his English even I might have to start from scratch with him. But, for me Maths is harder in term to cope with when we getting older. Therefore concentrating on Maths is the first thing from my point of view. Therefore as he work brilliantly with Maths now and manage to pull himself which was way behind years back into the same level of understanding and might go further than his age level is pretty much an achievement for him and me. But as hub who until now got some difficulty in conversation and writing report but still manage to do the job and even been chosen as the only Engineer from Caterpillar to present a paper next month. Yes, from the whole Caterpillar around the world.
As him, MS is also a technical person, which by developing his Maths can help him strengthen where his weakness is. But, didn't mean I will let him get away and left English and writing. Now me and him will start concentrating in English particularly reading and writing. He do lots of reading and always borrow books from library. But, he didn't read to me except in out taaklim time sometimes as hub did read most of it now and lead our taaklim time. MS did quiet good in understanding grammar, verb and making sentence. Only when it comes into making it into whole story, than he struggle. Another things that my kids struggle, is because although they do watch tv and movie from time to time, but they had in their mind that this is all fantasy that we shall not follow in reality. Therefore it was a bit hard for me to teach them fiction. I don't want to lead their mind into imagination as well as I think we Muslim should always keep our mind in reality.
For this week, I will keep only two study subject plus Quran reading of course. Especially tomorrow I got another hospital appointment with Surgeon. Friday we will have guests , my niece and her family. So some quick tidy up and cooking needed. I though than best to keep it that way as long as we istiqamah. Insya Allah next week we will move into 3-4 subject and after that with project / experiment frame time I had schedule. Insya Allah.

2 comments:
Assalamualaykum,
It is difficult making judgements about letting older kids go out by themselves. I always want my two to go together anyway, as I feel that is safer.
Waalaykumsalam,
Yes you are correct. Especially in outside world now a days..I was always thinking that if I am too protective..but I do find out that once they start build up confident and brave, there are no turning back. So I guess, slowly release and pull back also at the same time, not depends on how good the kids are, but the balancing of exposing them. Especially while their curiosity is expand. I do think it is safer when they are two together. May be I'm always think of better be safe than sorry.
Post a Comment