ConquerMaths - Real Maths Lessons from a Real Maths Teacher!

Saturday, 5 November 2011

After Half term

Life have been very busy on this side of us on half term holiday. 

Alhamdulillah we had started our homeschool back again on track since Monday. It was a slow start but we manage to keep it up by Tuesday and all the way to Friday. PS had her demo on Wednesday, than she started her school on Friday with Interhigh. She choose not to take History, Literature and French. But, she will join Mandarin and Child care class. Interhigh will have mock exam next week. She wasn't prepare. But, they had design GCSE exam group for the three of the student whose had join Interhigh recently from First College. 

I wasn't worry much actually. I am not kind of mother who will push her on when she need to take exam. First college school system is good, but not when it comes into organising the kids for the exam. Interhigh is very organise. I wish PS put her voice on before. But, she wasn't really confident to move. Alhamdulillah we still got time. She will just had to work harder and she might just need to catch up on Science and Geography. She said she wasn't that behind in anyway. She will not take exam on Geography but will take the class for the sake of knowledge it self. 

I had been busy with planning and wasn't really finish everything. But, can see much clearer towards what I had done in the study plan. I was also busy with MS Conquer Maths. Conquer maths had change and it does give more value for money now. It's also got curriculum start from reception and it was so cool! I wanted to cancel the subscription after MS finish, but now change my mind. I had put AS on it as well now on top of his minsprinting and workbook. 

For Maths, MS is now working on A-B level. It was quiet hard and sometimes he struggle. But, with hardship come rewards. I had done some mistake before in planning his Maths. I wasn't saw A-B level as it was sort of hiding in the page. Plus, as there are new Conquer maths and the old result wasn't in the new page, I had to go through lots of things to put proper planning for him and see where he are and when he will end. I had made planning for his Conquer Maths until end of this year, just before Christmas Holiday. During Christmas holiday or before, I will finish planning his Conquer Maths and than start planning his revision. He probably got another one to two months the most before he finish the whole GCSE curriculum up to level A. But, I will also looks depth into it first , to see if he need to go on workbook and revision before finishing off. By end of this year, he will finish Algebra topic anyway. I will have to see depth into the curriculum and topic before I decide. 

S is on Division at the moment with mindsprinting. I will soon got her on Conquer Maths as well. She will be on division for months actually. Anyway, she had improve a lots and time taken for the work also less than what she used to. 

AS is on shapes and line now. I had put him on Conquer Maths for revision for the old topic he had done. He will soon start multiplication and division. He will be on the topic for a very long time with Mindsprinting. Every Friday will be his revision with work book and Conquer maths and possibly new topic than multiplication and division in Conquer Maths in between Mindsprinting worksheet. 

AS also had finish one book for CGP science book for key stage one. We got another book from letts for science Key stage one.  I had made his science study plan. We will go through some experiment and will also finish Key stage one work book from Letts and start on Key Stage 2. We should by January start working on Key Stage 2 lesson. All MS, S and AS got Science lesson twice a week. I had also bought Geography book for key Stage 2 for AS. We will start it from next week. I put geography once a week and in between CGP book we will do other type of Geography rather than concentrate on UK curriculum. I might look into History for AS on Christmas Holiday. I had also start some Design and Technology work with AS using worksheet and project from Primary Resource. And will also start with ICT using CGP workbook and revision book.

MS and S now work together on other subject than English and Maths. They had now finish their Key Stage 2 Letts workbook and I had start make lesson plan for Key Stage 3 Science for them. At first I wanted to used Letts Essential Year 7 for them but decided it wasn't depth enough. I decided to make my own lesson plan combination of BBC skill wise website, workbook, other science website and also science and quran. this required plenty of work on my side, but Insya Allah it was only twice lesson a week, so I should be able to cope. I had done some lesson plan already. 

MS and S also had started with History lesson with Key Stage 2 CGP. I never actually done history lesson with them therefore it's good to start with Key Stage 2. I reckon this will take about 2 months to finish as we will do this once a months. We just going to go through it and at the same time in between the lesson in CGP workbook, we will discuss about what Horrible History said about it. When I was reading CGP revision workbook, MS or S will interrupt and told me the extend of what I am reading. So, I know that they very knowledgeable about History, but we just need to learn to put the info in writing and than reconnect with our modern days. I will also connect History as well as Science when it come to science fiction , electrical and etc with 1002 invention book. This is my target. I can now see how I am going to do this. 

Hub wanted to do Design And Technology with kids, just I have to push him to. Before that I will start with them and than get him to take it from there as he will be more knowledgeable especially for key Stage 3. MS is very interested in taking Product Design. I will have to look more into it , and expecting to see that start sometimes by February. I haven't go on study plan for Geography for MS and S yet. Hopefully by January, U should have proper plan for it for the whole school year, Insya Allah. ICT also a target. 

Islamis Studies goes well, with little knowledge learn, as I am now repeating the lesson again and again before moving slowly into the next one. I wasn't had a proper study plan yet, but we are on it every day. So do the Quran reading and Understanding the Quran. 

I am getting there, Insya Allah. I am learning a lesson quickly as from my experience with PS. I am now trying to make sure I had proper study plan for MS and S and AS. Although I wasn't worry about PS as she was a quick and fast learner, just to ensure the others able to pick up more learning package especially MS as he is a boy. Plus If they have same class for alim from after eid next year, I want MS to attend as well. Therefore to have proper study plan for him will help me to see how we going to do this and his exam. 

Also I want to catch up with AS, with the hope that when he going to Darul Ulom, he will be ahead of the curriculum and can concentrate more with his Hifz. S should be fine, just need to see what she want to do in her future courses. 

Alhamdulillah as I can see more thing clearly now from day to day. Although PS wan't sure enough what she want for her future courses and what MS want for his career. AS will start karate class soon. I want to enrol PS on some horses riding and volunteer work she interested in. Insya Allah. Than had to find out if MS also want to do some work placement at hub workplace and etc for next year. or any other volunteer work. 

It was fun in many way, teaching and learning. It was stressful as for some subject, I want to do my own proper and fully lesson plan. In English, they had going through their workbook, reading book and spelling. English is everyday subject like Maths and I will need longer time which will be on Christmas Holiday to actually start doing proper English lesson plan for MS and S. Insya Allah.

No comments: