ConquerMaths - Real Maths Lessons from a Real Maths Teacher!

Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Catching Up

As I was busy for the past months, I felt like I want to try to catch up everything in one go. The feeling of over excited! But, Alhamdulillah I try not to burn out myself. Therefore I try to cool down as well and take it easy. At least this way, I could see what I need to see in order to put some plan out for the kids in some other subject. For Maths is easy because there no need much explanation. But for other subject such as Geography, Science, History , Islamic Studies especially will required me to sit and discuss. Unless when they do something they already know and occupy with text book and workbook.

The big problem is , I am so fussy. Therefore whenever I find a book especially with good bargain, I buy them. Which at the end, I ended up with many workbook for the same key stage. Well, sometimes I found them in car boot sale. Who can resist 50 pence CG workbook or text book? I can't. Than it will be Home Bargain, or Wilkinson, or The Works. I will go crazy. I had stop going to WH Smith! Otherwise I cannot help myself to top up my collection. But, workbook can be very handy. As an evidence of learning.

For me, we learn anywhere and any time. Workbook in some way help to practise and to see the understanding of one particular subject. Therefore now, I am on the way to sort out our big pile of workbook. I am not going to satisfy with workbook, but at least it give me time to sort out the planning and it help me to see the clear picture of the topic, sub topic, where needed to be top up and etc.

Friday looks like always a rushing day. Especially sometimes hub will want to sort out something and drag me along the way. Therefore I haven't sure about Friday yet now.

Yesterday morning I got sleep over after hub went to work. I got headache since two days before yesterday and I just not bother at all. When I check my blood pressure, it was 103/68 . Which I think why I got this strong headache. I am always struggle with low blood pressure since I was teenager. I had to take a bit more salt into my food to try to stabilise it. I was thinking about forty five minutes nap, but wake up after one hour and forty five minutes! Alhamdulillah felt better and start to get on with kids homeschool. Alhamdulillah the night before, on Sunday night I make sure the whole house tidy and hover and clean. Ready for the next morning. It's either I tidy and clean after hubby off work, before kids come down, or kids help me the night before.

We manage to done all four subject, Maths, English , Science and Islamic Studies. Of course Quran reading as well. This time I had separated between the big three and AS. I think it will be too hard for him as I usually do lots of talk and of course the two way communication with kids means many interruption in between. One hours work usually done in two hours. It wasn't easy to control the crowd sometimes and Alhamdulillah Allah had grant me with so much patient and wisdom these days.

I had done AS science planning until end of next month at the moment and still continue doing it until possibly Feb-March. Alhamdulillah. I could see clearly what I need to do. Although we did science a bit here and there for the past year, I know that Insya Allah we can easily catch up. At the moment , he finishing CGP Key Stage 1 science. He doing 6 pages a days and Insya Allah should finish by next week. Than we will continue with revision for key Stage one or go deeper in to the subject by worksheet. Than we will jump  into the next textbook which for 9-10 years old from letts. Than I will have another workbook waiting and in between we will do some set up experiment. AS will do science two days a week. Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday will be for Geography and Friday for History. This plan possibly cover up until Feb or March or possibly April. We will see how far we go. I expect us to be able to cover 2 years ahead according to curriculum. BUT, for Geography it might be different things, as I will cover things that UK curriculum not cover as well. But, what I want is to cover as much as we can for Key stage 2 Geography in these couple of months and than slow down to one day and the other day will than be used for IT. So do science. I believe in the way we going at the moment, AS should be able to cover some curriculum for Key Stage 2, at least for Year 4 and 5. Than We will reduce to 1 day and replace the other day with Design and Technology.

Similar plan will be done with S and MS. But how long will depends on how much we can cover and how deep we need to cover. Because I might delay some of the topic to make sure we go deeply into certain topic.

I had struggle for Islamic studies as well actually. I had found many good one, but not the one that I like pretty much. But, Alhamdulillah I got a link to these beautiful set of book from sunni forum. The only things is, kids had know some of the things and I want them to cover up more on the same topic, so I didn't print up in order, but print up the one I want and set it up in planning. I am now done AS one to one and the other three at the same time. The best about this book, it guide teacher through when each topic need to be teach and over how long the period will be. We can circle under each topic after we do the lesson until the period of teaching is done. I like this as I believe the scholars who did this got a lots of experience with children and also over the lesson. It's also got teacher guide along the way. Only for Masa'il or Fikh I used from the one I got from South Africa. I am not yet had proper plan, but we had start with some topic. The book actually cover everything needed from Quran reading, tajweed, hifz for important juz from Juz 30. Seerah, hadith and one of the best is tarbiyah or deeni upbringing. It's also got a chapter which help to teach kids how to give bayan/ speech or dakwah. Subhana Allah...it was nearly complete for me , only I had to alter according to my kids level and some that will be too too easy for them. At the moment, for English there only 3 books, hopefully they will add some more later on.

We are not istiqamah yet on this, but Insya Allah it hopefully after half term we will be able to istiqamah with all four subject, Islamic Studies, Quran reading and project/experiment every day. This is my target. I am gradually increasing this. There are some day we might loose a bit, but still we are building it up. Also they will need motivation one after another. Insya Allah.

I am very busy. I would love to share more into this blog on many topic, but I just haven't got time. Probably after my plan had settle, than I will be able. I want to share on how things goes for us during unschooling, my busy time and why we need plan and how things can be different challenge and how I try to go along with things, twist things and swap things around.

No comments: