ConquerMaths - Real Maths Lessons from a Real Maths Teacher!

Thursday, 12 February 2009

Change of routine

We back on our homeschool routine on since Monday. After long holiday from sitting down doing homeschool, we now back on track, not sure for how long. But, that's what good about homeschool, it's flexible.

After long holiday, of course it's hard to get back, for me. Last week, is the week where I just fill in my time with cleaning and relaxing, with hope that I will be ready this week for our homeschool. Of course things not usually go 100% as we plan. But, by planning, I feel like I had a target to acheive. If I can acheive at least half of my target, it's good for me as we always have uncertainty in our journey and our day to day routine. I never hope that my plan will go through 100%. BEcause always Allah plan is better than ever.

My target last week, is to make sure all pile up laundry been put down to maintain level as we been busy for the last two weeks before that. Than clean fridge, kicten and around the house and do all ironing. Which alhamdulillah I manage just to do all that by Monday morning.

On Monday, it was a tough homeschool for kids. I don't expect them to do much after all. Mindsprinting worksheet should be enough, alhamdulillah. They manage to do that and PS and MS struggle to finish four page of worksheet. They did two set of worksheet while we on busy week before that. AS and S manage to do some work during our homeschool holiday. I bet they can't leave the learning altogether while I'm not bother as I'm too busy and tired.

Tuesday, seems better than the day before. I told MS on Monday night that he can do his Maths as soon as he wake up in the morning if he think he ready. So, since Tuesday, he been doing his four page mindsprinting worksheet for Maths as soon as he wake up. So, do English. By, afternoon, AS and MS already done their Maths and English without me sitting with them. So, our homeschool routine had change since that.

Our homeschool routine usually start with quran reading, islamic studies, Maths, English and other subject. They are usually in order. I love to do quran reading as first things and like to have everybody sit together when we do it. As PS wake up late, we always ended up starting around after 10.30am. Also, usually I done all my cooking and finish sort everything by 10am. After that than I sit down and start looking at what need to be print out and etc. As for that, we enede up finish our school just before hubby back home, and at that time also leave me with all the worksheet need to be check and to be record in the side for mindsprinting and look at another worksheet for the next day.

But, as for what MS had been done, he feel it easy for him and he did his worksheet quickly in his room on his own pace. I'm so shock as what he been done with his worksheet. The conclusion is, he work better for his Maths in his own quiet time early in the morning. As for that, by the time, PS and S wake up, he finish his Maths and probably nearly done his English as well. This leave him so happy and less pressure as by afternoon he already done two subject. Yesterday, AS wanted to follow his footstep and ask for his worksheet in earlt in the morning even before breakfast.

This morning, S also come down and ask for her worksheet before she had breakfast. Last night, while hubby went for his diving course, I spend time to print all the worksheet. Mindsprinting worksheet been print out ready until next week. For English writing and grammar I will print them everyday. I'm also had subscribe another site, edhelper. I wanted to get that since gaes ago and waiting for hubby to pay taht for me. As for now I had subscribe three site which is parents in touch, enchanted learning and ed helper. All this three cost me roughly £30 a year. Now, I think I don't need to buy book anymore for primary school. Now I wanted to find a good site for Secondary.

For routine change we now doing quran reading and islamic studies in the middle of our homeschool schedule which means when everybody ready. I don't want to force PS to get up early as others. She's in transition from childhood to teenager. Her body is changing and I try to take it easy for that. Although it has been tough time for me and her in our homeschool.

PS is too care in a way. She's wanted to know everything that happen around us and always interrupt in others learning with intention to 'help'. But, of course it's can help others but not herself. She need to be told off every time and that not making me happy. It's just a good habit in one way and not in the other. I'm now is trying to help me and her to sort this out.

Anyway, we had been on this new routine at the moment, and it's seem fair enough to others. Of course it had been hard to me who kind of love to have structure and formal learning time to happen at least so every know where they are. But, certainly that's not the case. Homeschool at the end is about flexibility and what best for children. Not just for adult. Although in certain aspect I still get children to follow what I want as to teach them to obey to parent and adult around you. Which I think had kind of lost in our society these day. As children been let too much on their own feeling and idea. But, of course to create a balance is the most important. I bet, this is one of the lesson that I learn by going a long our homeschool journey.

Education don't have to be too formal neither too loose. To create a balance is hard especially when I had children in different stage of life. I don't want to end up being with learning the whole day and want to have time for my self and quiet time with hubby as well as time for all of us together as a family. Also time for me to cook and clean of course.

At the moment, we manage to stay on this flexible schedule on each individual. But, by 11.30, we all here in our study area. After zohor prayer we all do quran reading and islamic studies and each of them will get back to the subject they been doing. It seems fair to everybody with the routine. I can also not stuck with all of them altogether. I been wanted to do that before, but it seems that it's just happen now by it self.

Yesterday, after asr prayer, we sit and learn about Malaysia. I get the worksheet from ed helper. We learn basic geography, history and daily life and tradition about Malaysia and people who life there. Today there's some more fun worksheet to go with it such as puzzle and crossword.

I love edhelper. It worth the money. It's got so many variety of worksheet. It's make my job easy with four homeschool children. Alhamdulillah.

Today will be another busy day. At the moment, PS still on decimal and fraction division on her mindsprinting worksheet. MS still on his long timetable with Maths from mindsprinting. S had worksheet on time at the moment to gain her confident and to master it. Mindsprinting worksheet for learning time not so much. So, I decided to keep her on learning time with the worksheet from variety site I subscribe. Love it how we can be so flexible and ensure the child can master and grasp the topic before he/she can move.

AS had gone through have way on his his maths and reading and writing. When we borrow book which we do every week now while kids go to library club, I had to get book which for year 2 level for his reading. Last week he get sponge bob comic book and been reading the whole book and proud of himself. he can read by his own at least three quarter or the words in the comic. For maths, also I had to used year 2 level now. Yesterday, he finish adding and subtraction book for age 6 to 8 that I just bought from poundland last Friday.

I'm also start giving out work sheet for critical thinking. I love all this kind of thing when I was small. And I find out that it's good which the worksheet stimulate our brain to think rational and also to learn problem solving in real world.

That's it for today. It had been snowing here in North East at the moment.

No comments: