I did feel the pressure as we start back on our homeschool routine. I can also feel the satisfaction along the way. As eid approach and we were busy with visiting and guest, we had slow down on Monday and slowing picking up back again. We are on revision topic now and again as that's what I like with kids lesson; pull and push. Now and again lots of topic will be revise either it be maths, English, science and most of the subject really. For me it's not about moving forward too fast as that is what homeschooling can do to a child, but it's more about grab what we learn and understanding it in and out. It's not worth learning and that's it, finish and topic close.
Especially islamic studies. That's why in kids lesson, you will see my kids might been learning the same things now and again. What I did, is finish one workbook and might start with another workbook but with different kind and presentation but still on the same level but also do teach advance of deeper in the same topic. For example, AS learn about salaah time, so do PS but both of them at different level. But at the same time they will had a revision for the particular topic and advance the topic.
This is when I think I will have a problem in doing one year plan or schedule. I love to see how kids learning behaviour on each topic and plan from there. They might advance on one topic but not on the other. Even in similar topic but different level. For example, PS now is learning algebra. She probably I guess will stay in the same topic for around 6 months. But in algebra, she will learn from basic algebra up and also a variety of equation. She will needs hundreds of practice and worksheet. At the moment, I stop her from mindsprinting worksheet and just concentrate her on getting worksheet from different website to get her specialise with basic algebra before we moved along. Let just say that I'm very fussy. I don't want to cover one topic and tick it as done and moved on. No. for me this is learning. Otherwise my homeschool just be the same as school, to teach in order to tick the curriculum. As long as the kids learn what the curriculum says, than job done. And that just not the way I want. Otherwise I better send them off to school. So, I had to make sure that I stick to particular subject needed for them to progress further until I feel satisfied that they able to moved forward.
MS is the example. When we start homeschooling, I made him to stay on multiplication including all topic about it from one digit multiply one digit to 4 ,5,6 digit and so do revision. From short division to long division. It does take a big massive patient from me and him. There are a time where he feel give up and I feel give up. It was all about thinking about the reward. I never get him to memorise the multiplication even though that's what I did when I learn them. Only by going through hundreds of exercise, i can say from someone who hate maths and times table and stress out everytime on lesson because of Maths, into someone who take maths very easy, loved it to bits and enjoy moving forwards. And as for that hard work on basic topic as for multiplication and division, he can even now teach S on that topic and had more confident than ever. If I look back, it was shout and scream at some point and I nearly loose my temper. Also thinking that he will be so much behind on the curriculum and topic than what he suppose to know and learn than others on his age. but once he moves forwards, alhamdulillah it's a light at the end of the tunnel. Although he now in year 7, but still doing year 6 maths, but he's progressing pretty quick than who he is when I start to homeschool him. It was all rewarding , alhamdulillah.
So, this is what it is with my homeschool. For others like S and AS it was not bad as they went to school for a short time. S now is a bit stress out with times table. As there are plenty of worksheet for her from mindsprinting. So, I try to less her other work at the moment. AS will build up skill on addition and subtraction as mindsprinting will help step by step with the worksheet they give for each child. I just need to be patient to confront with them now and again with plenty of exercise.
Today AS also did KS1 test paper. It's got more than 10 pages, but alhamdulillah after a bit of encouragement he manage to finish it off. It's not many question as it's only had 2 question for each page. So, English, Maths and Science for me is all about more revision and a bit new topic. It's all about to strengthen their knowledge. So do Islamic studies and quran reading.
As I will have guess coming in three weeks time, the last week before hubby back home, I know that I had to try to schedule a plan for them to make my job easy. I just didn't realise now and again that I'm not allowed to stay put and it's always something for me to catch up, alhamdulilah..

2 comments:
Your methods make sense. I hope that explaining methods like this will be viewed as part of the plan, inshAllah.
Jazaka Allah ummrashid,
i do hope as well especially when the time comes where I will get a visit by LA :)
As this is one of the strong purpose that I think I like to stick on homeschooling.
Post a Comment